Tuesday, May 19, 2009

oyakodon

I forget why I don't make this more...

I decided to make a chicken dish for dinner tonight... after changing my mind about an omelet. For once, I had all the ingredients!

Oyakodon recipe found on Kitchen Monkey

Here's my exact version although its pretty damn near close to the original:
2 cubed chicken breasts (that's what came in each freezer pack)
1 onion, sliced
3 beaten eggs*

1.5C water + 1tbsp dashi no moto
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp granulated sugar*


Mix dashi no moto with water, soy sauce, mirin, sugar - heat in pan. Add sliced onions.

Add cubed chicken. Cover and cook through.

Pour eggs over the top. Let cook. I covered the pan with aluminum foil since the lid was too small to cover everything at the point. (I don't have matching pan/pot lids.)

DONE! (minus one or two patches of egg that didn't cover everything)

Served over brown rice that you can't see. MMMM.

Notes: Ok. I said I had all the ingredients. Wellllllll. not caster sugar. So i just used regular granulated sugar. It did taste kinda sweet after a while. But was still good. It brought out the sweet onion flavor.
I shoulda used maybe one more egg. The 3 didn't cover the pan entirely. Or I should use a smaller pan.

Oh and I baked these again:

2 comments:

Reeni said...

This is a new dish to me! I like it! It looks delicious! And cookies, yum!

Simply Me said...

you love eggs!!!! :)
I left you an award girlie!!! yaaay
It's friday!!!!!!!