Thursday, August 28, 2008

for the pups

It was a special pup-pup's birfday... so I decided to whip together a doggie cake!

Uses all "human" ingredients... although, I would definitely refrain my dog (or anyone's dog) from eating more than a bite of this.

It baked up with so much oil... it stank up my apartment. AND the stupid springform pan LEAKED oil/grease/butter in the oven (DANGEROUS!), and I have yet to clean that. Seriously, I'm not a fan of the springform pan. Maybe for cheesecakes, but even then you have to wrap the bottom in foil to prevent moisture from getting in from the water bath, etc etc blah blah. But I digress...

Bow Wow Beef and Bacon Birthday Cake
from LoveToKnow Dogs (just from internet searching)
I halved the recipe, since a 8"x8" cake would be pretty large for a small doggie.



My adaptation:
1 C AP Flour
3/4Tsp Baking Powder
1/3C butter, softened
1/4C EVOO
1/2 jar Beef and Vegetable baby food
1-1/2 large eggs
1/4C Bacon Bits

Yields a small springform round and a small ramekin.
Bake at 350degrees for 40 min.

Sift flour and baking powder together.
Cream together butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
Mix dry ingredients with the wet. Then stir in bacon bits.
Pour into prepared pan.

Notes: I simply sprayed cooking spray to grease the baking dishes. Although, given the amount of oil, I don't think that's necessary at all.
I wasn't sure if, and how much, these would rise. But they do, slightly.
Its a pretty crumbly cake, but if you are able to keep the outer "crust" intact, frosting is a breeze. But let the frosting soften for easier spreading (duh).

For the frosting I used cream cheese, very light layer. And for the "flower" decor, I mixed some peanut butter (Since we all know that pups love the PB) with cream cheese to add some color, and "piped" it on (I should work on that). Then, to top it off... a doggie stick treat! And...
it kinda goes downhill from there.



It's a dense cake, so shoving a stick down the center really isn't the brightest idea ever. But oh well. At least the "front" is presentable.

No comments: