Sunday, July 13, 2008

Peas Fettuccine Alfredo

During my recipe collecting from my Real Simple magazines, I took down the "Fake It, Don't Make It" recipe for Broccoli Alfredo. I had to make some minor changes... and this time, it worked out well! (Or I was REALLY just STARVING.)

Broccoli** Alfredo
1 tbsp salt
Half a 1-pound box dry fettuccine
4 C (8 oz.) broccoli florets **I didn't have any, so I just used a handful of peas- mainly for color. I could have added more, since they were pretty good in the dish.
4 tbsp butter
1 C freshly grated Parmesan
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) *I used
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional) *I used
1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Yields 4 servings (I guess I shouldn't have eaten most of it... oops)

Boil pot of water for pasta. Add salt when water is almost to a boil.
Add in fettuccine to boiling water. Cook until al dente.
Towards the end of cooking, add in peas (or broccoli).
Drain. Reserve 1C of pasta water.
Place butter in same pot and melt on medium heat. Add 1/2C reserved pasta water. Then stir in 1/3 C Parmesan.
Add in drained pasta and peas/broccoli. Add cayenne and nutmeg, if using.
Toss well. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with another 1/3C of Parmesan and pepper. Toss again.
If sticky, add more pasta water.
Serve and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.

Notes: This isn't really the typical alfredo SAUCE you would think. Obviously, it's not creamy and liquidy since there's not milk or heavy cream involved. But same great taste! Very cheesy. And I would always add nutmeg to any alfredo. But adding cayenne definitely gave it a different kick. Not HOTHOT, but a nice accompaniment to the creamy richness of the cheese and butter. Overall, I think I did a good job and actually enjoyed my dinner!
Cleanup semi-sucked since there was melted cheese all on the pot bottom.

No comments: