Friday, July 11, 2008

more kitchen catastrophes...

Hooray hooray! I baked! From scratch!

I took this recipe from the best book EVER...
Well, my favorite is really "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"... but this one has recipes... and they're easy!

So tonight, I made "Aunt Petunia's Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies":
1C+2Tbsp. Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
A pinch of Salt
1/2 C Softened Butter
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Packed Lt. Brown Sugar
1 Egg
***For the "Chocolate Chips": I used those specialty chocolates I've been meaning to try. I just broke those into chunks and stirred into the cookie dough.

Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Add dry to wet, gradually.
Stir in chocolate chunks.
With wet hands, shape and pat down cookies onto greased/lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.
Yields (the recipe claims) 8 cookies


Royal Milk Tea Chocolate Chunks. Tasted just like those bottled Kirin milk teas.
(The "nibbler" sized)

Madagascar Chocolate (a very dark chocolate, without the bitterness of cacao)
Delish! (the 3 huge cookies could barely fit on the baking sheet without touching)
Maccha Chocolate Chunks
GORGEOUS color. Taste came out strong as well. Has more of a white chocolate undertone.


Three down, two to go. Strawberry and Rose.

Notes: When the recipe says 'jumbo', it means it! The cookies spread out REALLY big, and they make THIN cookies, which I'm not much of a fan of. I thought I would make "nibblers", but those actually baked out to be normal cookie size. Definitely leave plenty of space between cookies. I hate when they bake into each other and look like a butt print.
Also, next time, I might bake a minute or two longer... makes it a slightly crisper cookie.

The mess: spilled brown sugar on the floor, then when I swept that up, ended up dumping contents of dustpan NOT into the trashcan, had to re-sweep. not fun. at least I didn't burn my arm on the oven, as usual.

No comments: