Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th

I made Garlic Butter Pepper Shrimp for my contribution of our BBQ festivities.
It's actually from the awesome cookbook from Sam the Cooking Guy.

Very easy:
Butter
Shrimp
Garlic
Pepper

Cook.
Eat shrimp. Eat bread dipped in butter.

YUM.

And for the sweet treats: I made cookies. (Surprise surprise.)
From one of my new cookie books [Indulgence Cookies by Cristabel Martin], Chocolate Chip cookies...
so easy, and so delish. and came out beautiful (i.e. they didn't sink)

.5C unsalted butter
1c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1T milk
1.75C AP Flour
1t baking powder
1.5C bittersweet choc. chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add rest of the wet ingredient. Mix to combine.
Add sifted dry ingredients. Mix. Stir in chocolate chips.
Bake at 350.
Yielded 28 cookies.


The chocolate chip cookies were my back up. Good thing too since my initial cookie selection was a complete and utter failure.

Cool Whip Cookies with Pineapple

Easy to make. I still had a tub of cool whip to use up, so I figured I would give this recipe another try.
8oz Tub of cool whip
1 box of cake mix (any flavor you want)
1 egg
Powdered sugar for rolling
Combine and bake at 350 for 10-12 min.
(I've made it before with chocolate cake and white/lemon cake - those came out great!)

This time I used pineapple cake mix. That was probably big error #1. Then I added in some diced up pineapple and a bit of juice. Probably error #2. The "dough" was more like a thick batter that I couldn't really shape into a ball to roll in powdered sugar - like the recipe actually says to. So I just plopped them down on the cookie sheets. They baked up no prob... like mini cakes... texture was ok. It was mainly the flavor that was a FAIL. So, note to self. Nay on pineapple cake mix cookies.

1 comment:

Reeni said...

The shrimp look awesome!! So do the thick cookies - yum! Sorry about your pineapple cookies.