Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Marble Cookies

OK. so even though I got everything "back to normal" like a month ago... things like messed up cable tv, slow internet, then NO internet, then CRAPPY DSL, then NO DSL, then DSL(hopefully), and then of course, no more groceries... I haven't baked. oh so sad!

BUT after a few trips to Costco, I've fully stocked up on eggs and butter. the main staples of baking! (and now, I've found I'm running low on flour. figures.)

Today I decided to make some cookies!
(I'm not quite done with brownies yet... even though I am pretty sick of them.)

Marble Cookies
from [Indulgence Cookies by Cristabel Martin]
1-1/3 C bittersweet chocolate
1/2C unsalted butter, softened
1C superfine sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk
2C AP Flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Melt chocolate in double-boiler. Set aside to cool a bit.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Then beat in yolk and milk until just combined.
Then stir in sifted flour and baking powder to form dough.
Form a well in the center of dough, the pour melted (but not HOT) chocolate into well.

Using a knife, swirl chocolate with dough. But don't over mix.
Place on baking sheets and flatten slightly.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 min, until edges golden brown.

Notes:
Easy enough recipe. I woulda done a few things different.
Use less chocolate - perhaps just 1 C. And maybe milk chocolate instead of bittersweet.
Don't forget to flatten the dough (like me!). Oopsies.
I didn't let the butter soften as much as I probably should have.
It's hard to tell when edges turn golden brown when there's chocolate mixed in... so 15 minutes is maybe a bit more than needed, but not overbaked - just crispy.
The cookies came out not very sweet... more bittersweet (like the chocolate, durr.) ANYWAYS, it's a really pretty cookie as long as its not over-chocolatized. But taste-wise... I would probably choose a good ol' choc chip cookie over this any day. If you like just a hint of sweetness, then this could be for you!

It's good to be back! (tentatively)... next up! Gruyere Gougeres. That is if my gruyere hasn't gone bad by now.

PS: I am in love with Glee. And thanks to the show, can't get Sweet Caroline outta my head! (buh buh buh!)

1 comment:

Reeni said...

I like Glee too! I found it by accident one night and now I'm hooked! The cookie dough looks like ice cream! They look yummy!